Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Listen to your pet!


Just the other day, late in the evening, my dog Buddy woofed and pointed to the back ... something was up. I looked out the kitchen window and saw flames in the alley. A fire! A quick investigation showed that the neighbors dumpster was on fire. Immediately I called 911 and in a few minutes the firetruck arrived. Fortunately the fire was contained by the dumpster. The nearby garage had some paint melt, but it did not catch on fire. Nevertheless, Buddy was a hero at my house. He sensed the fire first. He let me know something was not right. I was proud, grateful and comforted by the fact that my dog could sense things that I didn't and he would let me know when something was wrong.

Buddy is not alone in this special talent. A friend whose home was seriously damaged by a devastating fire got her first warning from her pet bird. The house was damaged, precious things were lost, but the humans and the animals were all alright, and that's what matters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Buddy is a true hero...and very cute, too!